I guess the baby dolpin in the photo on the right didn't need his mother's help off the west coast of Scotland. He seemed to do just fine on his own.
Why Dolphins Need Our Help
Each year over 20,000 dolphins and porpoises are being slaughtered in Taiji Cove, Japan, a remote fishing village out of sight from the public. Dolphins are slaughtered for their meat which contains toxic levels of mercury - not good for the dolphins or the Japanese eating the meat.
Help Save Dolphins
- Never eat dolphin meat, which is sometimes marketed as whale meat. It is obviously bad for dolphins but is bad for us too due to the high levels of mercury found in dolphins.
- Sign a letter Help Save Japan's Dolphins to be sent to President Obama and other political heads.
- Go see the movie The Cove, a documentary on the dolphin slaughter in Japan (movie trailer at The Cove
- Don't swim with dolphins in captive settings, although fun for you, this is a cruel existence for dolphins. Also don't attend dolphin shows for the same reason. Sign a pledge at Captivity is Cruel - Don't Go to a Dolphin Show
- Volunteer with dolphins in the Hebrides (off the west coast of Scotland) through the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust. I loved it. See my experience at Volunteer Vacations The Pros and Cons.
Thank you for taking the time to help save dolphins!