Did you know that while coral reefs might look like plants, they're actually made up of coral polyps which are tiny animals that live in colonies? When they die, their bodies form the reef structure made of limestone.
Many of us have heard of the Golden Triangle, but have you ever heard of the Coral Triangle? It is the most diverse marine environment in the world and encapsulates the Western Indonesia archipelago, Malaysia and a small part of Thailand.
25% of all fish call coral reefs home including reef sharks, clown fish, eels, crustaceans and turtles to name but a few. I'd say they all have a good eye for interior design, since coral reefs are beautiful. Source and for map of coral reefs in danger: Major Endangered Reef Regions
Coral Reefs in Danger
Many coral reefs are in danger from water pollution, bleaching caused by the rising ocean temperature, overfishing, dynamite and cyanide fishing - which is common when fishing for clown fish and napoleon fish, sedimentation and disease. It is estimated that 25% of all coral reefs have already disappeared and 66% of all coral reefs are in danger. 88% of coral reefs in SE Asia are in danger, including the Coral Triangle. We need to act quickly before we destroy the "rain forest of the sea" and the world's most biodiverse ecosystem on earth. Source: Coral Reef Facts
Coral Reef Conservation
- Sign a pre-letter written by the World Wildlife Fund to your member of congress (U.S.) urging them to support the Tropical Forest and Coral Conservation Act
- Sign the Stop the Destruction of Duweiba and Its Coral Reefs Petition (opposing a power plant in Egypt which would be detrimental to the coral reefs in the Red Sea)
- Become a Friend of the Reef through the Coral Reef Alliance
- Donate to the Planetary Coral Reef Foundation
- Become a Fan of the Coral Reef Alliance on Facebook
- Join the Coral Reef Revolution Cause on Facebook
- Enter the Coral E-Current Photo Contest
- Become a volunteer diver for Reef Check California
- Visit Coral Reefs of the Tropics for tips on coral reef conservation from The Nature Conservancy
- Sign up for a coral reef dive EcoExpedition with Reef Check
- Shop at the Artists for Reefs Online Store
- Become a coral reef docent (volunteer who educates people) in Key West Florida, or the Bahamas
Photo of a coral reef in the Red Sea courtesy of: Marcus
You may also be interested in Clown Fish - The Bravest Fish in the Sea?