First of all, did you know that the Tasmanian devil is the world's largest surviving carnivorous marsupial. Quite the mouthful! The Tasmanian devil is also known for a less dubious honour. It has terrible body odour when agitated. Some say it rivals the skunk. Note to self, if you see a Tasmanian devil do not irritate it.
Also interesting are the vocalizations of the Tasmanian devil which is often described as a screech. Listen to a Tasmanian devil. I can't say I've ever heard a sound like that before.
Why Tasmanian Devils Need Our Help
Tasmanian devils are only found in Australia in the state of Tasmania. They are an endangered species. It was believed they hunted livestock so Tasmanian devils were shot for what they might do, when in fact they are opportunistic feeders, feeding mostly on carrion (animals that are already dead). Fortunately it is now illegal to kill Tasmanian devils, but they now face a rather unusual threat - the strange devil facial tumour disease, an aggressive parasitic cancer that is capable of wiping out between 20 -100% of Tasmanian devil populations.
Help Save Tasmanian Devils
- Join the Devil Facial Tumor Disease Team's Volunteer Program
- Visit the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park and see Tasmanian devils
- Become a Friend of the Devil (different levels of membership and benefits available)
- Donate to the Save the Tasmanian Devil Appeal
- Join the Save the Tassies cause on Facebook
Photo of Tasmanian Devil courtesy of: themachobox